Transform & SCCS make views known to Parliament on ADT BillPublished 25 April 2017 by Colin Howden
Ahead of the Scottish Parliamentary debate on the Air Departure Tax Bill due on Tuesday 25 April, Transform Scotland have joined with Stop Climate Chaos Scotland to issue a parliamentary briefing.
The briefing sets out the following key points:
- Cutting Air Passenger Duty (APD) by 50% would reduce Scottish Government revenue by around £150 million a year at a time when budgets are increasingly stretched
- Subsidising aviation whilst freezing funding for bus services, walking and cycling seriously damages the Government’s standing on equalities
- Subsidising air travel poses a serious threat to Anglo-Scottish rail services and undermines the case for High Speed Rail services to Scotland
- Aviation is already one of the most lightly taxed industries in the world and continues to grow nationally and internationally
- Cutting APD goes against Scotland’s legally-binding commitments to tackle climate change