Transform submits evidence on the Climate Change PlanPublished 08 February 2017 by Jamie Wylie
Transform Scotland has today submitted evidence to the ECCLR and REC Committee on the Policies and Proposals for transport in the draft third Climate Change Plan.
The evidence papers highlight the shortcomings of the draft Climate Change Plan and makes a series of recommendations to reduce transport emissions whilst developing a fairer, more sensible transport system.
Criticisms of the proposed actions on reducing transport emissions include:
- Too dependent on technological improvements and factors outwith the Scottish Government’s control
- Too reliant on Proposals to reach some of the Policy Development Milestones
- Lacking in focus and specificity on the need for modal shift to active travel and public transport
Our main recommendations for improving the draft CCP are:
- Stronger policies to increase walking and cycle at the local level
- Increased investment in bus priority measures in urban areas
- Stronger commitments to implement demand management measures
- Greater effort from the public sector in leading the way on reducing transport emissions
To read our submission to the REC Committee, see here.
To read our submission to the ECCLR Committee, see here.